Blackboard Tutorial Guides
These guides are to help students learn how to use the Blackboard system. First, you'll want to configure your browser.
- Before You Begin, check out the system requirements and specifications (PDF)
- Attention! - Information to get you started up in Blackboard (PDF)
- Logging In - Steps on logging into Blackboard (PDF) and finding the courses you've enrolled in.
- Submitting an Assignment - Instructors will often assign work through Blackboard by creating dropboxes in the system for you to leave your submission, and this guide (PDF) shows you how to submit.
- Participating in Discussions - If your class uses Blackboard discussions, you might find this guide (PDF) helpful for getting started with the structure of how they work.
- Accessing eReserves - If your professor uses reserves review this guide (PDF).
- Checking Grades - If your instructor distributes grades through Blackboard, this guide (PDF) will show you how to see the feedback they've left for you. It's important to note that not all professors distribute grades through Blackboard so please ask them if they do.
- Emailing Classmates - In case you don't know a classmate or instructor's email address, this guide (PDF) shows you how to email those in your class directly through Blackboard.
- Respondus Lockdown Browser - Some faculty require students to use the LockDown browser to take a test. If your instructor requires this browser, please see the instructions for the Lockdown Browser (PDF) here.
- Tips for Taking Tests - Tests can be really complex and can be a major headache. Here are some tips (PDF) to make sure you have a better experience
- Glossary - Definitions for all terms found in Blackboard. (PDF)
DASA Course Access
If the DASA workshop is not viewable in your Blackboard it means it has not been made available yet by the instructors.
Link to Course Catalog that note the "open" dates can be found here.
DASA Workshop Courses are opened according to a particular schedule, please contact the instructors if that date has passed and you do not have acces to the DASA online material.
Troubleshooting For Students
Simple guides to fix common issues
- My Course Menu has disappeared! "What to do when you're missing your course menu"
- SafeAssign Error "We do not think you are logged in"
- Having Copy/Paste problems with Firefox "Cannot copy/paste from something into Blackboard while using Firefox"
- DASA Work Shop - courses are made available and open by the professors. Please refer to the course registration catalog for the open dates.
- Help Center Phone: 607-753-2500
- Email: Thehelpcenter@cortland.edu
- The Help Center is located in the Memorial Library Main floor Lobby area
Blackboard Forms, Workshops and Information
Instructional Designers - Design Help
The Design Help team includes:
Hailey M. Ruoff, Assistant Director
MS – Educational Theory and Practice - Curriculum Development and Instructional Technology – University at Albany
Amy Becker, Instructional Designer
MS – Communications – Learning Theories and Instructional Design – Ithaca College
Kristina Maricle, Instructional Designer
MS – Instructional Technology – New York Institute of Technology
John "AJ" Scognamiglio, Instructional Designer
MEd – Instructional Technology – East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania
Justin Stewart, Web Development Assistant
BA – Studio Art - Binghamton University
Certificate in Website Development and Management – Broome Community College